What do parents expect from a school? Let me state some important expectations:
- To give individual attention to their child.
- To conduct fair assessments of their children, in writing and in person
- To provide timely notification if a child is encountering difficulties in academics or other areas.
- To provide an environment in which their child develops social competencies — to be articulate, to be able to make and keep friends, and to know how to behave appropriately in different situations.
- To provide a good education for their child in a safe and secure disciplined environment.
- To help the child to discover individual passions and talents.
But what is the purpose of education? It is to create human capital. The most precious resource of a country is its human resource. Though today the students are getting higher marks, what is the quality of the youth graduating each year? Are they employable? Do they have the capacity to become agents of change in the society?
At BTIS School, we believe that every child is unique and special. Along with rigorous academics, the various co-curricular activities and sports and games provide something that will spark the interest in every child. The wide choice of subjects in the ICSE syllabus helps every child to become a winner.
Parents can help their child and the school also in many ways. But the most important way is by accepting their responsibility as parents. Don’t expect the school and teachers to take over your obligations as parents. You can best teach children self-discipline and respect for others at home. Do not rely on teachers and schools to teach these basic behaviors and attitudes.
Let me end with the quote by Franklin D.Roosevelt
“We cannot always build the future for our youth, but we can build our youth for the future.”